One of the things I really like about teaching workshops is the preparation. Handouts, little bags of supplies, table decor… such fun to put together!
When I found out I would be doing a Christmas ornament workshop, I immediately went to a second-hand store to look for a tree to hang the decorations on. Being that it was July at the time, I was surprised to actually find one. It was a little sad-looking (and still is!) but I’m trying to make it fit in with what my brain is visualizing.
The tree is wire, and I want it dripping with sparkles. I tried slathering on sparkle paint and sparkle glue, but it wasn’t as textured as I wanted. What to do, what to do…
Enter air dry clay. I had worked with it a little bit for one of my costumes (the steam in the teacup), and thought it might be just what I needed. When in college, working with clay was not something I excelled at. I think my mom has the few items that weren’t “accidentally” broken… truly they are items only a mother could love!
But this was different… This was building on an existing form. Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of it before I started working on it, but here it is in progress:
Once it dries, I’ll try painting it with sparkles again… Hopefully it works out! I will post a finished picture if successful.